These creative ways to play will help kids grow their innate creativity and curiosity. This is important because these type of imaginative, open-ended play activities assist in a healthy mind’s development. Select a toy from the list or just scroll down to see all the activity ideas.
pencil spinning tops
draw a spin top picture
spinning top games
- how long?
Time your top and see how long you can spin it for. Keep a record of your best time and challenge yourself and others to beat it. Alternatively, go head to head and see who’s spins the longest?
- hit the target
This is a bit like bowls. First draw a target on the ground in chalk. From your starting spot, aim to spin your top towards the target and try to get it to stop in the centre of the target. Play alone or with a friend.
My sons’ favourite! Spin your top towards your opponents and try to knock their top over or out of the arena. To create an arena simply draw a circle on the ground, mark out with masking tape or use a tray or plate. This game is also great fun when played with whipping tops.
Watching this fabulous vintage Skittles Spinning Top Game has given me an idea for a future toy but you could have a go at knocking anything down with your top. Experiment and see what you can knock over. How about a skittle, a building block, a toy figure or a pencil?
This fun video, Science is the Tops, explains why tops only stay upright when they’re spinning. Then shows how to make your own pencil spinning top out of card.
create your own pipkind
Pipkinds are simple peg dolls that allow kids to create their own play figures. There are 3 sizes and 6 different shapes, all safe for ages 0+. Each one comes with its own design card to support the character’s creation. At some events I offer a Pipkind drop-in workshop where I help kids to design and create a Pipkind using pens, pencils and recycled materials. Here’s just a few to inspire you.
make a mini movie
Stop motion’s a great way to introduce children to making up their own stories even from a young age. This short animation was created with my son Dexter (age 7) using a free stop motion app on my smart phone.
If you’d like to see more of our animations check out the Pipkind Adventures Playlist.
Don’t forget to share your stop motion stories using #pipkindadventures on Facebook or Instagram or Twitter.
Crafty cars are designed for toddlers to develop their motor skills and creativity. The hard wearing plant based varnish allows them to be rolled through play dough and even paint and then cleaned using a wet cloth.
paint a picture with your car
play with dough
make your own natural play dough
Visit The Imagination Tree for this and more fantastic play dough recipes.
For games see spinning top games
creative play the natural way
Share your games and ways to play using the hashtag #creativeplaythenaturalway
toy related journal entries
- British Made Wooden Toys COVID ProjectChapelhall Community Resilience Project As I’m based in my garden workshop, I was able to continue working during lockdown in the precious hours when I wasn’t homeschooling my 3 sons aged 4, 8 and 10. At the […]
- Custom Wand CommissionI recently completed my second custom wand commission. Despite already writing about making a wand I had such fun designing Mark’s wand with him that I wanted to share the experience with you. I really enjoy […]
- What Does the CE Mark on Your Toys Mean?When you buy a toy do you check for a CE mark? Do you know what the CE mark stands for? One of my proudest achievements as a craft business is completing the CE certification of […]
- The Story of the Love HeartWood Cotton BagAs a craftsperson I have total control over how my products are made. I collect most of the wood myself and the rest comes from the trusted Brian. I also spent a lot of time researching […]
- (no title)Custom Wooden Spinning Tops for Camira Fabrics Wooden spinning tops make great eco friendly promotional products for trade fairs and events. Handmade and on brand they are a memorable way of highlighting you companies’ eco credentials. […]
- The Be The Change Awards CeremonyThose of you that follow this blog will know I wrote about the Be The Change Awards back in March when I found out I’d been selected as a finalist. To go back and read my […]
- The New Blue Sky Toy Collection is here!My aim when designing and making the Blue Sky Toy Collection was to create beautiful, functional toys that are safe, healthy and as eco friendly and ethical as possible. I am happy to announce that the […]
- Spinning top videoWatch this video on YouTube.